This position will coordinate major aspects of Idaho State University’s Hazardous Waste Program. Under general supervision, this position will lead hazardous waste operations and ensure compliance with State and Federal hazardous waste regulations.
- Collect, process and characterize hazardous waste and identify high hazard hazardous waste.
- Track hazardous waste volumes and generate reports. Prepare state and federal reports.
- Consolidate compatible waste for disposal through hazardous waste vendor and complete hazardous waste manifests.
- Collect biohazardous waste and manage the universal waste and used oil programs.
- Coordinate training and emergency preparedness exercises.
- Develop and maintain hazardous waste program elements (contingency planning, waste minimization planning, pollution prevention planning).
- Respond to emergencies including chemical spills.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and one year of experience with environmental, health and safety programs. The successful candidate must be able to wear an air-purifying respirator, lift 50 pounds, transport drums weighing 450 pounds using a drum hand truck and have a valid driver’s license.
- This position requires after-hours emergency responses.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the successful completion of a background check and medical evaluation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Environmental Science or a related discipline and two years of experience with hazardous waste.
- Advanced RCRA training
- OSHA 40 hour HAZWOPER
- Experience in a higher education setting
- DOT Ground Shipment Certification